10 Protein-Packed Plants
Health Benefits of High-Protein Plant Foods:
Health Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds:
- Tryptophan: Helps fight depression (converted into serotonin and niacin).
- Glutamate (needed to create GABA): Anti-stress neorochemical, helps relieve anxiety and other related conditions.
- Zinc: Boosts immune function and fights osteoporosis.
- Phytosterols: Reduce LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) and up HDL (the good kind); may also be effective in the prevention of cancer.
Health Benefits of Asparagus:
- Vitamin K: Asparagus is the number one plant-based source for Vitamin K, which is indicated in preventing osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.
- Vitamin A and Folate: Anti-aging, anti-inflammatory, heart healthy, and indicated in the prevention of birth defects.
- Diuretic: Reduce water retention.
- Aphrodisiac: Oh là là!
Health Benefits of Cauliflower:
- Carotenoids (beta-carotene and Phytonutrients): Including kaempferol, ferulic acid, cinnamic acid and caffeic acid. These nutrients help protect your body against free radical damage.
- Sulforaphane: Strong indications as a cancer fighting agent.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Reduce inflammation.
Health Benefits of Peanuts:
- Co-Enzyme Q10: Protects the heart during times of low oxygen.
- Resveratrol: Bioflavonoid believed to improve blood flow in the brain and lower your LDL cholesterol.
- Niacin: Assists in recovery of cell damage, and protects against Alzheimer’s disease and age-related cognitive problems.
Health Benefits of Oatmeal:
- Selenium (antioxidant combined with vitamin E): Boosts immunity and mood, as well as having indications as a cancer-fighting agent.
- Weight loss: Keeps blood sugar levels even. The high level of fiber keeps you full longer.
- Magnesium: Helps with energy production, maintaining strong bones and possible relief of PMS.
- Phosphorus: Assists with bone health, boosts energy and is important for healthy digestion.
Health Benefits of Mung Bean Sprouts:
- Lecithin: Lowers blood cholesterol levels, reduces liver fat.
- Zinc: Along with the protein and other vitamins in mung beans, Zinc can help strengthen your nails.
- Phytoestrogens: Contain many anti-aging components for the skin. These phytoestrogens act on estrogen-receptors found in the skin, stimulating the synthesis of hyaluronic acid, collagen and elastin, which are all essential components of the skin’s structure.
Health Benefits of Almonds:
- Phenylalanine: Aids in the development of cognitive function.
- Nutrient Rich: Keeps you full longer which can aid in weight loss.
- Vitamin E/Magnesium: Important for heart and muscle health.
Health Benefits of Spinach:
- Lutein and zeaxanthin: Protect the eyes against cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
- Vitamin K: Ensures a healthy nervous system and brain function, healthy bones (1000% of the RDA of vitamin K in each full cup of spinach!)
- Vitamin A: Strengthens immunity and promotes healthy skin.
Health Benefits of Broccoli:
- Glucoraphanin (which the body processes into sulforaphane): Helps the skin to detoxify and repair itself, along with ridding the body of H. pylori which increases the risk of gastric cancer.
- Beta-carotene, zinc and selenium: All work to strengthen the immune system.
- Indole-3-carbinol: A powerful antioxidant and anti-carcinogen, which may hinder the growth of breast, cervical and prostate cancer along with boosting liver function.
Health Benefits of Quinoa:
- Magnesium: Relaxes muscles and blood vessels, which can help regulate blood pressure.
- Manganese and copper: Both work as antioxidants to protect the body from free radicals.
- Lignans: A phytonutrient found to reduce the risk of heart disease as well as certain types of cancer.